About this course:
Organisers and Campaigners
About this course
In the face of falling union density and the pressures of everyday organising, it often feels like we are treading water when it comes to union growth. Every union member has a vital role to play, which is why it’s so important for organisers to take the time to transfer their knowledge, confidence and skills to union members.
This course revisits key conversation frameworks, focusing on how to coach others to grow the union. Through learning and applying coaching frameworks, organisers will come away with the skills to support delegates and activists to take ownership of being a member, and to share the responsibility of growing strong, sustainable unions.
By the end of this course, participants should be able to:
- Explain the benefits of a distributed organising model for building union growth and power
- Demonstrate confidence in using coaching frameworks to develop activists to build union growth
- Revise key organising conversation frameworks such as the Structured Organising Conversation and Objection Handling from a coaching perspective
- Build and use storytelling frameworks to communicate union goals and stories
- Plan for decentralised organising and member development towards union growth and strength
- Demonstrate confidence in analysing and determining how best to support delegates and activists in their union development
- Demonstrate confidence in coaching and developing activists and delegates to recruit membership and union activism
Purpose and Leadership
Coaching practice – diagnosing challenges
Coaching others to grow the union
Insights into growth and segmentation
Coaching others to handle objections
Storytelling for growth
Planning for strong unions
Along with content delivery through relevant digital resources, this course will rely heavily on educator-led facilitated discussion, activities, small group work and use of case studies.
The course is best suited for organisers who have a good grasp of organising ideas and frameworks through on-the-job experience, or a refresher for Lead Organisers who may want to apply coaching frameworks to support new organisers in their work.
Lead Organiser Development Program
SA – ENROL HERE
Face-to-face | 21 – 22 August | 9:00am to 5:00pm
Follow Up Session | Online | 13 September | 11:00am to 1:00pm
VIC – ENROL HERE
Face-to-face | 15 – 16 October | 9:00am to 5:00pm
Follow Up Session | Online | 15 November | 11:00am to 1:00pm