About this course:
Organisers and Campaigners
About this course
The Fair Work (Registered Organisations) Act 2009 requires union officers with financial decision-making responsibilities (including elected officials, finance staff and members of committees of management) to undertake Fair Work Commission-approved training in financial governance within six months of their appointment.
This course will help you integrate union values into your union practice, as you develop practical skills in reading and understanding financial statements and reports and explaining the purpose of auditors and the need to rotate registered practitioners.
You will explore the various facets of whistleblower protections and be able to discuss the consequences of failure to comply with the RO Act. Upon completing the course, you will receive certificates demonstrating compliance with the requirements of the Act.
By the end of this course, participants should be able to:
- Explain the principles of good governance
- Define legal and technical requirements of their role
- Discuss your duties as Officers
- Read and understand financial statements and reports
- Discuss your obligations as Officers responsible for financial management
- Explain the purpose of auditors and the need to rotate registered practitioners
- Be aware of whistleblower protections
- Discuss the consequences of failure to comply with the RO Act
The Legislative Rules and Framework
Financial Management and Reporting
Understanding Financial Reports
The Powers of the FWC and Consequences of Non-compliance
Reading, watching videos and completion of quizzes.